Earliest records name a Saxon
named Alsi as being the landowner of Doddiscombsleigh prior
to 1066. The first record of Town Barton is in the Domesday
Book of 1086 when Doddiscombsleigh was known as Terra Godeboldi
under the reign of one Godbold the Bowman. Town Barton was the
Capital Barton (Manor House) for Godbold's Domesday Estates.
This makes it one of the very rare instances of a property truly
being specifically traceable to where a Domesday owner dwelt.
Over the centuries, of course, the old house has undergone remodelling
and rebuilding. Sir Ralph de Doddescomb lived in the house from
1216-1272 causing the village name to be changed from Legh Peverel
to Doddiscombsleigh. Sometime between 1327 and 1377 the last
male Doddescomb died, leaving five daughters. The manor was
divided up by marriage and then had five Lords.
The original house of Town Barton and land of the Nobody Inn
was in the possession of one of these five Lords. In 1591 a
rich Exeter merchant Robert Parr bought "messuages, landes,
pastures, commons, groves, marishes, woodes,rentes etc in Doddiscombsleighe
and Bridford" from a James Woodeye, gentleman. Previously the
Deeds were owned by his father Peter and before him a Robert
Holbeme in 1570.
The cottage that is now The Nobody Inn was one of these "dwelling
houses or messuages" in 1837. The Inn has had a curious role
in the parish. It did not formally become an Inn until 1838.
However from the early 1600's at least it was virtually the
village's unofficial Church House. It was originally called
Pophill Howse but details seem untraceable until 1752 when it
is owned by Stephen Diggines "the carpenter". Stephen and his
son Stephen did carpentry work for the church and his house
continued to be a centre for parish affairs and de facto inn
and meeting place.
Pophill House did not become "The New Inn" until after Stephen
Jr. died in 1837. To today it has continued to be an Inn. Since
then the Inn has only changed ownership five times and always
to people who love the history, the beautiful village, good
food and wine and always give a warm welcome to their customers.
all restaurant and accommodation bookings and enquiries please
contact us on tel: 01647